Urgent Message from the YJCC
Dear YJCC Member and Supporter,
These past few years have been challenging for our YJCC. Due to continued declining membership levels and a significant decrease in our program enrollment, we are projecting an operating loss next year of at least $1 million dollars, which doesn't include the money necessary to upgrade our aging facility. This has led us to make a very difficult and painful decision. As of Wednesday, August 5, 2015, we will suspend operations, at our current building on Pascack Road with the exception of a few ongoing camp programs that will end on their pre-published dates. We will continue to use the building for charitable purposes while we pursue the process of designing and implementing programming that will be more impactful for our community.
Unfortunately efforts to secure the required funds for next year and to improve our building and programs were not successful. We feel strongly that it is no longer feasible for us to continue when we are facing such a substantial operating deficit and without an adequate facility and the full complement of programs and services that our community desires and deserves. The total required funding exceeded $15 million.
Kindercamp, Camp Shalom, Open Hearts Open Homes and this week's basketball camp will operate as scheduled until the pre-published end date. Fitness, wellness, aquatics, sports, karate, and all classes will be suspended immediately and our building will now be closed in the interim to the general public.
We have made arrangements to ensure that our members, as well as the most vulnerable in our community, will continue to be supported.
The details for each are below:
- Membership: Effective immediately, your YJCC membership will be honored, through the end of your current membership year at both the Kaplen JCC on the Palisades, 411 E. Clinton Avenue in Tenafly, 201-569-7900, and The Rockland County JCC, 450 W. Nyack Rd, in Nyack, NY, 845-362-4400. Any members, who have personal belongings in the building, can collect them on Thursday, August 6 from 3PM -5PM or Monday, August 10 from 4PM -6PM. Please email
if you need to make arrangements for another time.
- Nursery School: Temple Emanuel of the Pascack Valley will offer a new home for our children and many of our Early Childhood faculty. Full credit for all tuition paid to the YJCC will be provided by Temple Emanuel. Please contact Temple Emanuel directly by calling or emailing Amy at 201-391-8329 or
- Senior Meals: We have asked the Jewish Federation of Northern New Jersey to identify a location(s) able to accommodate the programs and its participants. We will share more specific details directly with those who attend the senior meal program. In the meantime, there is a daily kosher congregate meal program for seniors at the Kaplen JCC on the Palisades, 411 E. Clinton Avenue in Tenafly. For more information, or to make a reservation, call 201-569-7900 ext. 1450.
- S.A.I.L. Program: We will contact S.A.I.L. participants to provide assistance in securing a new program that is suitable to participants' individual needs.
- PJ Library and Open Hearts Open Homes: It is Jewish Federation of Northern New Jersey's intent to absorb these programs upon completion of due diligence. We hope to have an update shortly.
We want to thank our staff for their many years of dedicated service to the YJCC. We have hired a consultant to provide on-going outplacement support for our full-time employees.
As you probably know, our YJCC is over one hundred years old. We were formerly in Hackensack and then operated as a "JCC without Walls" before finding our current property. We will shortly begin the process of planning for the next phase of our future. It is our intention to continue onward, providing valuable Jewish programming and services across the Pascack Valley.
We share your sadness and have many fond memories, like you do, of wonderful times at the YJCC. By taking these steps now, we can preserve our assets to enable our YJCC to thrive for many years to come.
If you have any questions, please contact
or 201-666-6610. Please call during business hours, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
The Board of Directors of the Bergen County YJCC